Tuesday, February 8, 2011

body pump officially kicked my booty

last night i agreed to attend body pump class with my friend laura. i would say we are both athletic girls. i was a little hesitant at first but agreed to go because i knew it was a good class. plus we are members at 24 hour fitness and we need to be using our passes. i explained to her that it would be ok because we can control the amount of weight we use. i thought to myself, "perfect! i'll use the smallest amount possible! this won't be bad." when we got to class and started setting up our weights, of course, it was chaotic. who knew body pump class was in such demand in SLC? people were racing for spots.
{um not front and center for us. no thanks!}
for those of you that are not very familiar with body pump, let me explain. it’s an hour long class of strength training that works every muscle in your body. the instructor plays music [good music] and for each track, you work one muscle group. so really, that’s about 3-5 minutes on each! at first, it was a piece of cake... but once it got towards the second half of the class, my legs were shaking. especially during the single leg squats. i caught laura’s eye and we started laughing with this, “i am so screwed” look. don’t even get me started on the shoulder press workout. we {may} have dropped our 10 pound weights for the 2.5 pound dumbbells.
yep. no joke.
like i said earlier, we are athletic.... so i thought. but i really enjoyed the class, it gave me such a sense of accomplishment and made me feel so much better about myself after.
until next week.
[oh and we don't look anywhere near this photo below, but you get the idea right]

2 comments:

  1. after my first body pump class, I didn't walk for two days, let alone make it back to the gym. I love how often you are blogging these days! keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE body pump! True...it does kick your butt the first couple of times and you walk out looking like an 80 year old. When I went back for the first time (since fall), I walked into my classroom limping. I had to explain how Mrs. C was ok but not in good shape. Then one kid said, "My mom always walks like that after the gym..." I felt old. I'm going back tomorrow...you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete